History

More than 700 years on Adelgatan

Mayfair Hotel Tunneln on Adelgatan in Malmö holds more than 700 years of history. Under one roof the building has been a medieval merchant’s house, a royal residence, the town library and a sugar refinery before becoming a hotel – and deep below rest medieval cellar vaults from the early 14th century. Here is a short overview; the full story is in the hotel’s history book, which you can browse further down.

Tunneln has been here for many years, and I hope she will remain and continue to bring joy to guests, employees and owners for many years to come.

Ull Storm, General Manager From the hotel’s history book

A short timeline

Early 1300s

In the already established medieval town of Malmö, the oldest cross-vaults beneath the house are built, contemporary with the construction of St Petri Church. The house is a merchant’s house with four cloth stalls facing Adelgatan.

1582

The wealthy cloth merchant and later mayor Jacob Fechtell demolishes the old stalls and builds the present house with its high stone staircase and sandstone portal – and a wine cellar in the preserved vaults.

1658

By the Treaty of Roskilde, Skåne becomes Swedish. Lord High Steward Corfitz Ulfeldt, married to the Danish princess Leonora Christina, takes over the house.

1660

Ulfeldt escapes his Swedish guards – in disguise, alarmed by a rumour of imprisonment in Finland. Tradition holds that he fled through the old vaults and out towards Adelgatan.

1680

The house is rented as the residence of the Governor-General of Skåne, among them Rutger von Ascheberg, and is known as “the Governor’s Garden”.

1729

The merchant Frans Suell, forefather of the well-known Malmö family, acquires the property. The vaults are used for storing goods.

1775

The building is converted into the “Svanen” sugar refinery, next door to the rival refinery “Patrioten”.

1866

Consul Hans Friis opens a cellar restaurant and names it after the long, tunnel-like vaults: Tunneln.

1908

Hotel Tunneln welcomes its first guests. Elias Smith soon becomes sole owner and runs the hotel for decades.

2001

Trine and Gunnar Kjems become owners. The house grows into today’s Mayfair Hotel Tunneln with more than 80 rooms.

Stories from the house

Ulfeldt’s escape through the vaults

In 1660 Lord High Steward Corfitz Ulfeldt slipped past his Swedish guards, in disguise and alarmed by a rumour of life imprisonment in Finland. According to the hotel’s history book he fled down into the old vaults and out towards Adelgatan. His wife, Princess Leonora Christina, fled the same day.

The name Tunneln

When Consul Hans Friis opened his cellar restaurant in 1866 he named it after the long, tunnel-like vaults. The restaurant in turn gave its name to the hotel that opened in 1908.

The building’s many lives

Merchant’s house, wine cellar, governor’s residence, sugar refinery and town library (1905–1946) – the building was almost everything before becoming today’s hotel.

Browse the full history book Read the full 700-year history in the hotel’s digital book.

This is a short overview. Throughout the hotel, small signs tell the story of individual rooms and details – and the full history is in the book above.